Be Thou my vision (Traditional)
- Editor: Glenn O'Brien (submitted 2010-12-06). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 22 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Arrangement written in 2010.
- Arranger: Sarah Stagg
- Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
- Editor: Mark Hamilton Dewey (submitted 2006-08-10). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 72 kB Arrangement Copyright: Public Domain (released to the public domain by the arranger on 27 July 2007)
- Edition notes: Parts, verses 1-2, and re-versification by Mark Hamilton Dewey (b. 1980); arrangement written in the summer of 2006. Verses 1-2 written on 27 July 2007. This arrangement was written on account of the scarcity of public domain choral arrangements of this song, and also to allow female singers to feel more comfortable singing (i.e. the second verse was changed; it used to say "I Thy true son", with son seeming to refer to the singer). The midis will act as karaoke; all verses play.
- Arranger: Mark Hamilton Dewey
- Number of voices: 7vv Voicing: SAATTBB
Title: Be Thou My Vision
Composer: Anonymous (Traditional)
First published: 2006
Description: Translation from Old Irish to English, for all but the second verse: Mary Elizabeth Byrne (1880-1931), 1905. Original versification for all but the second verse: Eleanor Henrietta Hull (1860-1935), 1912.
Original text and translations
Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart,
Be all else but naught to me, save that Thou art,
Be Thou my best thought, in the day and the night,
Both waking and sleeping, Thy presence my light.
Be Thou my wisdom, be Thou my true word
Be Thou ever with me, and I with Thee, Lord,
Be Thou my great Father, and I Thy true son,
Be Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
Be Thou my breastplate, my sword for the fight,
Be Thou my whole armour, be Thou my true might,
Be Thou my soul's shelter, be Thou my strong Tower,
O raise Thou me heavenward, great Power of my power.
Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Be Thou my inheritance now and always,
Be Thou and Thou only the first in my heart,
O Sovereign of Heaven, my treasure Thou art.
High King of Heaven, Thou Heaven's bright Sun,
O grant me its joys after vict'ry is won,
Great Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be Thou my vision, O Ruler of all.
(Sarah Stagg arrangement)
Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best thought by day or by night,
Waking and sleeping, Thy presence my light.
Be Thou my wisdom, be Thou my true word;
I ever with Thee, and Thou with me, Lord;
Be Thou my great Father, I Thy true son,
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise;
Thou mine inheritance now and always,
Thou and Thou only, be first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my treasure Thou art.
High King of Heaven, when vict'ry is won;
May I reach heav'n's joys, oh bright Heaven's Sun.
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall;
Still be my vision, oh ruler of all!