Domine non sum dignus
This text is from the Gospel of Luke 7:6-7 and is the message sent to Jesus by a centurion whose slave was dying. It is used as an antiphon to the Magnificat at Vespers of the Thursday following Ash Wednesday.
Victoria's setting changes "my servant" to "my soul", and this is also the version spoken as a response between the Agnus Dei and the communion antiphon in the Catholic rite since 1970. Victoria adds a secunda parte from Psalm 6:3, and labels the whole "in communione".
The cantata by David Thoman is only related by its opening phrase.
Settings by composers
- William Byrd — Domine non sum dignus
- Sethus Calvisius — Domine, Domine
- Richard Dering — Domine non sum dignus
- Mariano Garau — Domine, non sum dignus
- Tomás Luis de Victoria — Domine, non sum dignus
- Christoph Thomas Walliser — Domine Jesu Christe a 8
Text and translation
Domine, non sum dignus
Herr, ich bin nicht würdig,
Lord, I am not worthy that
나는 주님을 내 집에 모셔 들일 만한 자격이 없습니다.