O for a faith that will not shrink (Henry Thomas Smart)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-10-08). Score information: A4, 1 page, 15 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: From the Church Hymnary, 1929. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Original text and translations
1. O for a faith that will not shrink,
Though pressed by many a foe,
That will not tremble on the brink
Of poverty or woe.
2. That will not murmur nor complain
Beneath the chast'ning rod,
But, in the hour of grief and pain,
Can lean upon its God;
3. A faith that shines more bright and clear
When tempests rage without,
That when in danger knows no fear,
In darkness feels no doubt;
4. A faith that keeps the narrow way
Till life's last spark is fled,
And with a pure and heavenly ray
Lights up a dying bed!
5. Lord, give me such a faith as this,
And then, whate'er may come,
I taste e'en now the hallowed bliss
Of an eternal home.