O grief, e'en on the bud (Thomas Morley)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2011-12-19). Score information: A4, 1 page, 18 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Reformating of #9255. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: Vince M. Brennan (submitted 2005-12-06). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 37 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Copyright (c) 2004 by V. M. Brennan
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2005-08-30). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 21 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
Title: O, grief, e'en on the bud
Composer: Thomas Morley
First published: 1597 in Canzonets or Litle Short Aers to Five and Six Voices, no. 7
Original text and translations
O, grief, e'en on the bud that fairly flowered,
the sun hath lowered,
and, ah, that breast which Love durst never venture,
bold Death did enter.
Pity, O Heav'ns that have my love in keeping,
my cries, my cries and weeping.