On the day when death will knock at thy door (John Alden Carpenter)
- Contributor: David Newman (submitted 2008-07-11). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 125 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Cross posting by Art Song Central.
First published: 1914 No title, from Gitanjali (Song Offerings), No. 2. Lyrics from Gitanjali, published 1913
- Entry at the "Lied and Art Song Text" site
- Entry at the "Art Song Central" site for "On the day when death will knock at thy door"
- Art Song Central's page on "Gitanjali"
- Details of Rabindranath Tagore's Song Cycle: 'Gitanjali' or `song offerings'
- Wikipedia entry for 'Gitanjali'
Original text and translations
On the day when death will knock at thy door, what
wilt thou offer to him?
Oh, I will set before my guest the full vessel of my life; I will
never let him go with empty hands.
All the sweet vintage of all my autumn days and summer
nights, all the earnings and gleanings of my busy life, will I
place before him at the close of my days when death will
knock at my door.