When I bring to you colour'd toys (John Alden Carpenter)
- Editor: Ariel Barton (submitted 2017-05-10). Score information: Letter, 5 pages, 128 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes:
- Contributor: David Newman (submitted 2008-07-12). Score information: Letter, 5 pages, 259 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: This is a scanned edition (facsimile).
Published: 1914 by G. Schirmer
Description: No title, published 1914, from Gitanjali (Song Offerings), No. 1. Lyrics from Gitanjali, published 1913.
- Wikipedia entry for 'Gitanjali'
- Art Song Central's page on "Gitanjali"
- Details of Rabindranath Tagore's Song Cycle: 'Gitanjali' or `song offerings'
- Entry at "The Lied and Art Song Text" site
Original text and translations
When I bring to you colour'd toys, my child, I understand why there is such a play
of colours on clouds, on water, and why flow'rs are painted in tints–when I give
colour'd toys to you, my child.
When I sing to make you dance, I truly know why there is music in leaves, and why
waves send their chorus of voices to the heart of the listening earth–when I sing
to make you dance.
When I bring sweet things to your greedy hands, I know why there is honey in the
cup of the flower and why fruits are secretly filled with sweet juice–when I bring
sweet things to your greedy hands.