Hushed was the evening hymn (Arthur Sullivan)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-08-17). Score information: A4, 1 page, 17 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Taken from the Church Hymnary, 1927. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: Noel Stoutenburg (submitted 2006-03-31). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 27 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Unison setting from The Bristol Tune Book with piano reduction. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
First published: 1874
Original text and translations
1. Hushed was the evening hymn,
The temple courts were dark;
The lamp was burning dim
Before the sacred ark;
When suddenly a voice divine
Rang through the silence of the shrine.
2. The old man, meek and mild,
The priest of Israel, slept;
His watch the temple child,
The little Levite, kept;
And what from Eli’s sense was sealed
The Lord to Hannah’s son revealed.
3. O give me Samuel’s ear,
The open ear, O Lord,
Alive and quick to hear
Each whisper of Thy Word,
Like him to answer at Thy call,
And to obey Thee first of all.
4. O give me Samuel’s heart,
A lowly heart, that waits
Where in Thy house Thou art,
Or watches at Thy gates;
By day and night, a heart that still
Moves at the breathing of Thy will.
5. O give me Samuel’s mind,
A sweet unmurm’ring faith,
Obedient and resigned
To Thee in life and death,
That I may read with childlike eyes
Truths that are hidden from the wise.