Caligaverunt oculi mei (Tomás Luis de Victoria)
- Editor: Lewis Jones (submitted 2010-08-05). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 42 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Down a fifth according to high chiavette transposition. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: Nancho Alvarez (submitted 2004-10-19). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 85 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: listed under 'Oficio de Semana Santa' (Good Friday). Full score and individual parts available as midi files.
- Editor: Brian Marble (submitted 2003-12-20). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 84 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes:
- Editor: Pablo Rosario (submitted 2000-08-22). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 84 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- Editor: Claudio Macchi (submitted 2000-08-24). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 68 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Title: Caligaverunt oculi mei
Composer: Tomás Luis de Victoria
First published: 1585 in Tenebrae Responsories (Tomás Luis de Victoria), no. 12
2nd published: 1863 in Musica Divina Vol. IV (Carl Proske), p. 192
Description: for Good Friday.
This moving work forms one of several responsories for Tenebrae. Like the other reponsories, this includes a verse, the response, a verse and another response. The response features a low setting for Altos, Tenors and Basses, and suprises the listener with a piercing treble/soprano note on the words "Si est dolor similis sicut dolor meus". Many people liken this to a cry of pain, as the words translate to "If there is any sorrow like my sorrow".
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Caligaverunt oculi mei.